Monday, February 9, 2015

Audition night blog

Well...I hardly slept a wink last night. I've been thinking (sluggishly) about it all day and I don't know if having your brain  so consumed with thoughts about auditions and production you cannot sleep is a good thing...or a bad thing. At any rate the process started last night with child auditions (we still have a few spots to fill if you know someone who might be interested) and will continue tonight with adult auditions.
Auditions are always such an interesting energy. Of course nervousness comes into it, anticipation, preparation; it's exciting to be sure. Many times in a community this small there are familiar faces and camaraderie with the people auditioning. Most of all there is an incredible energy with the directing team. We love surprises (honestly, we do) and its always such a privilege to have people come out to try out for YOUR production. In RAT's early years we wouldn't always hold auditions because we knew we wouldn't have enough people come out so we spent our energy asking people to do the show instead of inviting them to try out. On rare occasions we will be producing a particular show with a particular actor in mind and thus will not open the auditions to everyone. More and more we find we have more than we need to fill the roles in a production. That's a blessing and a curse.
As a young actress I never truly understood the director's side of casting. I remember having hurt feelings because I didn't get a "big" role and on many occasions I failed to recognize a "great" role I had been given because it was smaller than the lead. I remember crying to the director about what was wrong with me and it wasn't fair. Having directed a few shows now I understand that casting a show can be as heartbreaking for a director as an actor. Hard decisions have to be made. For me casting a show is much like putting the pieces of a puzzle together. I have the image in my head of what I want and the actors are the pieces I must try and put together to create that image. In most cases it's not personal, it's combinations. I understand that now and I share that with anyone who has or will audition for a play in the future. Most of the time I see talent, but cannot use it all at the same time. Which is very hard for my tender heart. (I hide it well).
So, a few of the thoughts that were racing through my head last night. Building my picture without breaking too many hearts. Using the pieces that I'm given as efficiently and effectively as possible. Maintaining relationships I have with many of these actors and building new relationships with others. This show, and my "picture" of it which I will gladly share as we progress, is burning inside of me. It has grabbed a hold of my soul and my creative streak and I am excited and anxious to see what I can do with it. But first...auditions. The cast list will hopefully be announced publicly Wednesday this week.
Best of luck.
Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment