Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Easing the Burden

Every show I, or one of my immediate family members participates takes a little bit from me. By that I mean, as artists, when you do a show, whether your part is big or small, direct or peripheral it takes something out of you. Time, money, sleep, and the company of your family and friends are just a few examples of things we give up to do a show. 

That sounds like a huge sacrifice so why do we do it? A couple of reasons. When a fire burns inside you to do a show because you feel so strongly about it anything you sacrifice is worth it. For me, the second reason, the bigger reason, is I get to collaborate with truly amazing and talented people. My directing experience is not very long yet and I'm still growing into the kind of director I hope to eventually be. I know, without a doubt, my limitations on talent. It is for this reason I put together a directing team for this show: to share the burden of work, and to enhance the production through other artistic eyes. 

I look at the work Susanna Terry and Autumn Robinson are doing and I'm filled with gratitude that they chose to sacrifice their time (and sleep!) for my project. I have the support of Shane Brown and Jud Harmon in making technical magic on the stage through sets, lights and special effects. I have Ryan Terry who has spent countless hours with the performance software adjusting it to fit our production and getting the best sound possible out of the pre-recorded tracks. (A live band simply would not fit on the stage so a recording was our only option). I have an assistant director, Tom Crozier, who all I have to do is give instructions on a big project like a slide show or programs and he will run with it and take so much of the work of this production off my back. I have a Mykell Walton, my costume lady, whose vision and creativity is lining up perfectly with my concept for this show. I have two sharp sound technicians, TJ Toynbee and Kevin Markkola, who come to every rehearsal so they can be as familiar as possible with the show. I have a large, dedicated cast who works tirelessly on choreography, music and character both in rehearsal and at home on their own time. All of these elements put together creates the show. 

It's like the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child."  It takes so much more than a director to put a show together. It takes a very special group of people, each working in their own area of talent and expertise to bring a production of this magnitude to the stage. I am incredibly grateful to everyone who is giving their precious time and talents to bring Jesus Christ Superstar to the Magic Valley. 

If you’re excited to see this show you can purchase your reserved seats right now online. The website is www.orpheum.ovationpac.com.  Online ticket sales do have a small convenience fee. We are very excited to present this show in a little over three weeks. We hope to see you at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment