Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thoughts and Ramblings on Gethsemane and Christ

Every character in every show has that "make or break" number they sing in musical theatre or opera: "Largo al Factotum" for Figaro, "Music of the Night" for the Phantom, and “Modern Major General" for MG Stanley. Each of these presents a unique challenge in every regard. Some are comic, some serious, some romantic. The interesting challenge with Gethsemane is that it is a piece that is so rooted in the stages of grief. It truly cycles through all of them, and obviously begrudgingly/triumphantly ends in the acceptance of fate.

Going through the process of identifying the character of Christ really has been about identifying the kind of MAN he is as he goes through the musical journey of Gethsemane. It is a great opportunity (and a rare one) when we see a character so completely stripped of all layers and baring the soul before the audience. We have the chance to see and explore what the MAN is truly made of. Of course, it isn't the only piece Jesus is in during the show, but this is the moment when we find him ALONE and most vulnerable. In my opinion, even more so than the moments leading to his death. It is Christ at his most human.

Demonstrating this is a challenge. It is the reason I accepted the role. Something to keep me working, but something of a different stripe. It is an emotionally taxing piece, even more so than vocally regardless that this is a far cry from "my style" of singing. How do I demonstrate the humanity of this character, this legendary god figure, this man who strives to be more than a man - not for HIS sake, but for others?

It is a beautiful piece filled with emotion. And even though I've been working through it for the short time I have been, I already feel more connected to the character, the legend, the mythos of Christ that I have ever before. But I feel the connection more because I see him in the context of Gethsemane: a man - fearful, alone, unsure, anxious, angry, sad... ultimately willing to take it upon himself to pay the ultimate price.

Now, my mission is to let the audience see what I have glimpsed at. Thought I go through this same process with every role I take upon myself, this one will mean something quite different.

I hope to show our audience something unexpected.

JMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment